Façade Improvement Grant Program
The City of Princeton Economic Development Corporation Façade Improvement Matching Incentive Grant Program provides a dollar-for-dollar match in the form of a reimbursement up to a maximum of 10,000 for eligible improvements to facades in the City of Princeton.
Participants are eligible for up to one incentive per 12 month period from completion of previous project under this program, if applicable. Applicants who meet the $10,000 match threshold are eligible for waiver of building permit fees.
Only building permit fees which are part of the incentive application will be waived. Building permit fees for improvements not related to the incentive application and from the street, parking area, or public park are not eligible for fee waiver.
Complete application and email to DeShawyna Walker.
- Eligible Improvements
- Ineligible Improvements
- Application Requirements
- Program Guidelines
- Must be an existing building located in the Princeton Overlay District.
- Eligible façade improvements shall not begin before the application is considered by Princeton Economic Development Corporation and the City Council.
- Improvements must comply with all applicable state and local code requirements.
- Improvements must be on the exterior and visible to the public (street, parking area, or public park).
- Buildings with multiple tenants are eligible for one program incentive per tenant, per 12 month period from completion of previous program project.
- Detached signage
- Engineering or Architectural costs up to 15% of the project
- Exterior lighting
- Façade facelift such as painting, trim work, cladding
- Front porch additions and enhancements
- Hardscape improvements such as sidewalk pavers, concrete off-street parking, fencing visible to the public, and lamp posts
- New or enhanced attached signage and/or awnings
- New storefronts
- Window replacement and window framing
Ineligible Improvements (Interior Improvements)
- Any facades not visible to the public (street, parking area, or park)
- New buildings or new building additions other than exterior additions such as porches and entry features
- Outdoor furnishings unless permanently affixed to the building
- Plantings or landscaping
- Roof repair
- Completed incentive program application signed by the applicant and the owner of the property (if different from the applicant)
- Contractor Qualification: One completed Statement of Contractor's Qualifications form for each cost proposal
- Contractors must be registered with the City of Princeton
- Cost Proposals: Two written cost proposals from bona fide tradespeople, contractors, or suppliers
- One cost proposal must be from a contractor or supplier whose business is located within the Princeton city limits (where applicable)
- Drawings or renderings of project proposal
- Exterior photo(s) of the existing building
- Written description of project proposal
- Projects are subject to Available funding allocated between October 31st and September 30th.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee approval.
- All eligibility requirements must be met to be considered for the incentive program.
- Only complete applications will be considered by the Princeton Economic Development Corporation (EDC) and the City Council for approval. Incomplete applications which are missing required application materials will not be considered and shall expire after six months. The six month time period will begin on the date of the most recent staff correspondence with the applicant. A new completed application shall be submitted in order to resume activity on a grant application.
- Applications will be reviewed and considered by the Princeton EDC and the City Council on a first-come, first-served basis until all available program funds have been allocated.
- Appropriate permits must be obtained prior to beginning construction.
- Construction of improvements must commence within 90 days of application approval and must be completed within one year of application approval. The applicant may request a one time 30 day extension for construction commencement and a one time 6 month extension to complete the project from the City Manager.
- Any changes or modifications to the approved application shall be approved by Princeton EDC and the City Council.
- Payment of the matching incentive funds shall be in the form of a reimbursement of 50% of the total cost of the improvements to a maximum of $10,000.
- Payment will be made after all work is satisfactorily completed according to the terms of the approved program application and all costs are documented with receipts and/or invoices.
- Payment will not be made for any work completed before the application is considered by Princeton EDC and the City Council. o A completed W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be required by the property owner prior to any payment.
- Improvements completed under the City of Princeton EDC Façade Improvement Matching Incentive Grant Program shall become permanent fixtures of the building and shall not be removed or altered for a period of five years without the express consent of the City of Princeton.
- The City Council may consider in total any proposed project improvements to the Princeton
- Overlay District, and may waive any particular eligibility requirements described.