Parks & Recreation Home
Park & Facility Rental
Park Master Plan
Parks Improvement Projects
|Community Park / WWII P.O.W. Camp
In 1940, the migratory camp was built west of Princeton where the Community Park is now located. It was built for the people who moved into the area to work during the onion and cotton seasons. It was estimated that there were 300-400 migrants at the camp during this period.
An overhead storage tank with the capacity of 30,000 gallons of water was the first unit erected on the campsite. Also, 76 cabins were built of California redwood with shingle roofs and concrete floors. Each cabin was equipped with two beds, oil cook stove with oven, oil heater, and four chairs.
In February 1945, the camp was turned into a prisoner of war camp for Germans captured during World War II. The local farmers paid the POW’s to work on their farms. This operation was continued for eight months.
The Community Park/WWII P.O.W. Camp is located at 500 West College Street.
- 4 Ball fields with lights
- Basketball Court
- 2 Pavilions
- Picnic/Camping area
|Veterans Memorial Park
In 1943, the Princeton women called Noino Study Club (spelling the word onion backwards) began to notice that the city was very unattractive because of the large dumping ground in the center of the town, where the railroad had been taken up. They began working and planning a park, with a beautification committee.
Under a special bill, the German prisoners were contracted to do the work on the park. The park was built in memory of the men who served in the armed forces during World War II.
Mrs. Ammon Smith, the president of the Noino Club at that time, explained that the park was a “living memorial” to those who served so well during the war, and that it was a shrine to the memory of those who lost their lives in the war.
The Veterans Memorial Park is located across the street from Princeton Police Department.
- Picnic Tables
- Park Benches
The information was provided by Princeton I.S.D. Special Programs Advisory Council “Princeton, TX 1881-2000”